Sunday, November 25, 2007

Well of Loneliness - Half way point

I'm reading Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall. Basically, the story of a lesbian. It was published in 1928, and the first half has been Stephen's (yes a female) experience not knowing "what" she is, but sensing that she is something very different from other girls. The scene after her mother discovers what is going on with Stephen and Angela is so very sad, but ultimately a "scene" that continues to play out in the households of many LGBT youth 90 years after the book's publication.

I have also gotten the impression, at least from the beginning of the novel, that Stephen might not just be a lesbian, but perhaps transgendered. It's not that she simply is different, and likes boyish things, but it is mentioned again and again that she wants to be a boy. Is that a common experience, not necessarily indicitive of being transgendered? I don't know...

The book is slow going, but I'm enjoying so far, and looking forward to the rest.

Other books I have finished in the last month:
Angle of Repose - could I even come close to telling you how much I disliked this book? I was really disappointed because I really thought that I would like it. Though it certainly has not been the worse that I ever read...but it's probably in the bottom 20, if not the bottom 5.

This is Not a Novel (Markson) - This was really not very much a novel, just trivia regarding the lives of famous authors and their deaths. I enjoyed it nonetheless, and I was able to finish it in a day.

Blood and Guts in High School - Ok, I'm going to tell the truth - I didn't get it. I simply didn't. Did this book have a point? I don't know that I care. I was really looking forward to Acker, as I thought that I might enjoy her. It wasn't the nontraditional narrative; it wasn't the offensive subject; I just didn't get it.

The Glass Castle - This certainly wasn't the best book that I've ever read, but I don't typically read this type of book. It was good for it's subject manner, and a fast read. Very depressing though.

Persepolis - This is a graphic novel about Iran. Not much to say about it. I'm in the middle of Persepolis 2 (the sequel), and I like it about as much as I liked the first. It's a book that I can read entirely in one sitting, but also one that I can put down for days and not really care to pick back up.

Don Quixote - I'm proud to have finished. But did I like it? Was it truly the best book EVER written? I can see the importance of it, from a historical and cultural standpoint. But I really don't know what I thought about it.

----------------Currently reading-------------------------
Persepolis 2 - Satrapi
Vanity Fair - Thackeray
Well of Loneliness - Hall
Gullivers Travels - Swift (on hold)

----------------Up Next------------------------------------
Dance to the Music of Time Vol. 1 - Powell

No comments: