Friday, December 28, 2007

Of Human Bondage - The Movie

Last night I saw Of Human Bondage. I was really glad that I read the book before watching the movie, because I would have had no idea what was going on otherwise. It was so fragmented. Understandably, it is a very long book, portraying the first 30+ years of Phillip's life, and the filmmaker obviously wanted to include as much of that as possible, focusing on Phillip's life in London after his art career in Paris fails miserably. But the business with Phillip's money situation, due entirely to Mildred, wasn't very clear, nor the length to which it went. It wasn't even clear whether Phillip ever passed his medical exam or not. Overall, I didn't like the movie too much, and again would not have been able to understnad what was happening without having read the book.
















2 comments:

rinny said...

So what did you think of the novel? I don't see any other mention of it here.

Kristin said...

I liked it. It was really long but it was definately a great novel.