Thursday, January 3, 2008

Some Modern Library Top 100 Reviews

Before I started this blog, I was writing brief reviews of the Modern Library's Top 100 in a notebook. Here are some of them:

#27 The Ambassadors by Henry James

I will not waste any more words on this book than have already been wasted on its writing. I hated this book and fear the remaining two James "novels" on this list. Please see Doug Shaw's review for a good look at why I didn't like it.

#82 Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner

I Promising in the beginning, with discussions of telling the stories of one's ancestors. But then it disintegrated into a story about the west with characters I mostly disliked or despised. I never want to read this again.

#50 Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

I was excited to read this book. Miller's decadent romp through Paris in the 1930s. I like decadent romps! But oh how I hated this one. Horrible! HORRIBLE! incoherent, disgusting dribble. I have nothing more to say about it.

#37 The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder

I didn't like this book. I just didn't care.

#91 Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell

This is another book I didn't particularly care for. It was Faulkner-esque in setting and social status of the characters. But I didn't really like it. Faulkner is beeter, and I can't help but compare all rural southern writers to him.

#24 Winesburg, Ohio

I couldn't have cared less. One of my least favorites thus far on the list. Well, besides The Ambassadors.

No comments: