Thursday, January 31, 2008

Some reviews that I have previously posted elsewhere...

Native Son - Richard Wright:
I really enjoyed this book. I was a little worried, of course, because it’s known as quite as sensational book, and purportedly purposefully. I’ve had this book sitting on my shelf since high school. I remember talking to my english teacher at the time about it, asking if she had read it. She told me that she didn’t read things that were written purely for the controversy they would cause. Whether that’s true or not about this book, I don’t know. I believe it was James Baldwin who wrote a damning piece about Wright’s novel, stating that Wright fed into stereotypes about black people that probably shouldn’t be perpetuated.

I have a tendency to read not so exciting books – not in the sense of “not good” but just not with a lot of action, so this book kept my attention, particularly in the first half. I knew starting out what Bigger Thomas was going to do, thanks to a show called "Great Books" that used to air on TLC about 10 years ago. But I often find that knowing the outcome of a story will make it more intriguing (and less annoying – I’m someone who hates surprises!) because rather than wondering what is going to happen, I’m wondering how. Anyhoo, I thought that it was good.

I particularly thought that certain social commentaries in the novel were very poignant: Mr. Dalton appears to be the wonderful philanthropist, giving money to black causes and hiring black laborers, donating ping pong tables to boys clubs on the South Side of Chicago (where the novel takes place), etc. But what is the use of all that when we find that he is the owner of a major real estate company that not only refuses to rent apartments to blacks outside of the “designated area” so to speak, but he also charges ridiculous rents for the apartments in the south side which are basically rodent infested fire traps. Though Mr. Dalton and his wife are dedicated to having their “Negro” laborers get an education, they then do not hire them after they are educated. The second piece was at the inquest for Mary Dalton’s murder. They use Bessie’s body as evidence. Nobody cares that he killed Bessie (who was black), except for how they can use her body and death to show Bigger’s guilt in the murder of Mary (who was white).

I thought the last part of the novel (“Fate”) was a little drawn out, but while that might bother me in other books, for some reason it didn’t bother me with this one. I suppose I felt that the speeches fit the narrative, and the action in the first two parts was balanced out by the lull in the end. I was glad, though, that the story ended when Max left. I really didn’t want to read about Bigger being led to the electric chair (images of “The Green Mile” came to mind…along with how ill that movie made me). All in all – good. I would say, 4/5

The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
I thought that this book was really good. I can see why it’s #10 (which is a lot more than I can say for many books on this list!). Ma Joad is one of my favorite literary characters.

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers
I didn’t find this book really interesting. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t overly good.

Winesburg, Ohio, Sherwood Anderson
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz That’s all I have to say about that. Could someone please tell me what it is about this book that landed it on the top 100 of the 20th century? I just don’t get it.

The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett
I liked it. But then again, I loved the movie, which was exactly like the book.

Kim, Rudyard Kipling
For some reason, I had some difficulty with this book. I REALLY wanted to like it, but I just didn’t. Again, it was all right, but not great, IMO

No comments: