Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Update

My reading has been slow going recently. I'm in the midst of a major change in my life...I'm not ready to discuss it here, but it's big, and big changes tend to disrupt my reading schedule. I've been trying to read Ulysses now for about a month - trying is the operative word- and I have been stuck in the Sirens episode (Chapter 11) for about 2 weeks now. I'll read maybe a page, and then I start to feel sick again and have to put it away. I keep thinking, oh why did this have to come along while I'm reading Ulysses? Why not something easy, something simple that doesn't make my head ache and pound and swim all on it's own? But Ulysses is what I got. I was also supposed to be reading Under the Net by Iris Murdoch, but after a few pages, I couldn't concentrate, so I will have to come back to it some other time.

Of course, I'm still trying to make my way through Dance to the Music of Time. I was supposed to have finished part 2 in June, but got behind. I'm about 50 pages away from the end. Actually, I've been 50 pages away for a few weeks. Hopefully, I'll finish it soon. My goal is to be completely finished before March...I need to be finished with it before March.

I'm also reading Oranges are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson, which, if everything goes well, I hope to able to finish today - I only have 10 pages left. In months and years past, that means that I would have finished it a long time ago (which I should have), but even with this book, I can only read about 5 pages at a time before I have to take a breather. It's odd, because I'm at a place where I want and need the comfort of books, but I can't because of this new thing in my life, which pretty much keeps me moaning on the couch most of the day when I'm not trying my best to get through work and be somewhat productive. It just takes too much effort, too much concentration, which right now I spend on trying to eat, trying to drink water, while mindlessly watching television (and the occassional comforting movie, such as Peter Pan or Mystery Science Theater 3K). I suppose something might be said here for the merits of books on tape, but I don't do audiobooks. I'm not very good at processing information just by listening.

And so, maybe some day soon I'll finish a few books. But for right now, I'm taking it slow.

No comments: