Sunday, August 31, 2008

Library Additions

My (at least) biannual pilgrimage to State College's used bookstore proved fairly fruitful. I picked up the following books:
  • Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg
  • Badenheim 1939 by Aharon Appelfeld
  • Journey to the End of the Night - Celine
  • Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light - Ivan Klima
  • A Model Childhood - Christa Wolf (also published as Patterns of Childhood)
  • Kaddish for a Child Not Born - Irme Kertesz

After checking out, and looking lovingly at the pile in the bag (it's like taking a puppy home some times)...I realized that all of them except Smilla are about war, and all except Smilla and Celine are about Germany/The Holocaust. This on top of Loving, Dance to the Music of Time being about Nick in the Army in WWII, and also reading The Zookeeper's Wife...could I get more immersed in the goings-on in Europe during the 1930s/1940s? I'm not sure what's taking me there right now.

I'm most excited about Kaddish... it's really short and looks AMAZING. This year I also picked up Kertesz's Fateless (or Fatelessness depending on if you're getting an American or British edition) but haven't read it yet (surprise surprise). I might start reading it tonight.

1 comment:

Robby Virus said...

"Journey to the End of the Night" is a great book. I read that in college and I still think about it to this day. Actually, I should re-read that one sometime.