Monday, October 27, 2008

List-o-phile Monday

Yes, List-o-phile Monday is back! Today I'm going to be a little unconventional. My reading seems to get grouped into themes - around places, time periods, etc. This usually happens all on its own...I don't plan it out that way. In August/September, it was a WWII theme. Lately I've been in a NYC theme, so the city is on my mind. Today's list is the New Yorker Magazine's "New York Canon." You can read more about it here. I say it's unconventional because I'm not "actively reading" from the list. It's in my book-list folder, and I'm sure I'll use it as a guide in the coming years, but it's not a requirement that I read them all.

The criteria: all-around literary merit and New Yorkitdude - the degree to which a book allows itself to obsess over the city. This list was created for the New Yorker's 40th anniversary, so it's just those published since 1968...they are not all fiction.

The list:
  1. The Armies of the Night - Norman Mailer
  2. An Anthology of New York Poets - Ron Padgett and David Shapiro (editors)
  3. The Tenants - Bernard Malamud
  4. Beneath the Underdog - Charles Mingus
  5. The Boys of Summer - Roger Kahn
  6. Great Jones Street - Don Delillo
  7. Enormous Changes at the Last Minute - Grace Paley
  8. The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York - Robert Caro
  9. Without Feathers - Woody Allen
  10. Ragtime - E.L. Doctorow
  11. On Photography - Susan Sontag
  12. Delirious New York: A Retroactive Manifesto for Manhattan - Rem Koolhaas
  13. Zuckerman Unbound - Philip Roth
  14. Take Five - D. Keith Mano
  15. Winter's Tale - Mark Helprin
  16. Money - Martin Amis
  17. Bright Lights, Big City - Jay McInerney
  18. Bonfire of the Vanities - Tom Wolfe
  19. Bad Behavior - Mary Gaitskill
  20. Low Life: Lures and Snares of Old New York - Luc Sante
  21. Jazz - Toni Morrison
  22. Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir - Anatole Broyard
  23. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
  24. Random Family - Adrain Nicole Leblanc
  25. The Displaced of Capital - Anne Winters
  26. Lush Life - Richard Price

1 comment:

Jason H. Bowden said...

Kristin--

This is an excellent blog; you now have the rare and prestigious honor of joining my blogroll!