Friday, November 7, 2008

Do the Shuffle!

This has nothing to do with books. Deal with it.

People have been doing this lately, and I wanted to join in. Below are the top 20 most frequently played songs from my mp3 player. Out of the 3,000+ songs I have on there, these are ones I listen to the most – supposedly. I’m shocked by this list. It is not at ALL what I would have thought are the Top 20 songs I listen to. I mean – where is Tiffany? Where is Billie Holiday? Where is Snoop Dog? Where is Portishead, damn it?
  1. #1 – Nelly (This I think can be explained by the fact that I sometimes set my mp3 player to play alphabetically, and this is the first song)
  2. Nothing Else Matters – Metallica
  3. Can’t Take My Eyes Off You – Frankie Valli
  4. Lovesong – The Cure
  5. Salve Regina (Gregorian Chant)
  6. Dominus (more Gregorian chant)
  7. Let’s Make A Night To Remember – Bryan Adams (ok, I’m going to admit to something that is somewhat embarrassing. I have ALL of Bryan Adams cds...I mean every single one that was ever released. I even have that stupid song he did with Barbara Streisand. And a crazy version of “All For Love” with Pavarotti. And they are all on my mp3 player. Yet, I cannot understand why out of the probably 100+ songs of his I have on this contraption, it’s THIS song that makes the list. Not Straight From the Heart. Not When the Night Comes. Not Into the Fire. No – it’s Let’s Make a Night to Remember. WTF?)
  8. Say It Right – Nelly Furtado (This one makes sense. There was a time last year when I listened it over and over and over again)
  9. Be Careful With My Heart – Ricky Martin/Madonna (completely unexpected. Please don’t get the idea that I like Ricky Martin. This is the only song I have that he had anything to do with. I SWEAR!)
  10. Lost In Your Eyes – Debbie Gibson
  11. Lovesong – Tori Amos (Her version is FABULOUS! I almost like it better than the Cure’s)
  12. Mad World – Gary Jules (Another one of the few that I understand why it’s on here. One of the most depressing songs EVER. I love it.)
  13. Pange Lingua Gloriosi (more Gregorian chant. Ok, I know I like the stuff, but seriously – 3 out of 20?)
  14. Think About You – Guns n’ Roses
  15. 911 – Wyclef Jean & Mary J. Blige (One of the greatest love songs. “Someone please call 911/Tell them I’ve just been shot down/And the bullet’s in my heart…The alleged assailaint is five foot one/And she shot me through my soul…”)
  16. I Can’t Hold Back – Survivor (I do not understand how this beat out Foreigner, The Scorpions AND Def Leppard)
  17. Like I Love You – Justin Timberlake
  18. Turn Me On – Kevin Little (I thought for sure if it would be any random dance song, it would be “Come to Me” or “Tell Me” by Diddy or whatever his name is now. I would have guessed that I listen to those a lot more than this)
  19. Visions of Paradise – Mick Jagger
  20. King Nothing – Metallica (TWO Metallica songs make the Top 20? And only ONE Bryan Adams? And NO Billie Holiday? None of my crazy 80s songs – except Debbie Gibson? I don’t understand…)

Now we’ll do the shuffle, which I think gives a much better picture of what’s on the there. Here were the first 50 songs to come up.

  1. Kill You – Eminem
  2. #9 Dream – John Lennon
  3. Beat City – Raveonettes – My Favorite Song from my Favorite Band
  4. Come A Little Bit Closer – Jay & The Americans
  5. Shitlist – L7
  6. Shomyo/Ambient Version – Buddhist chants (see, it’s not just Christian chants. I don’t discriminate)
  7. Sympathy for the Devil – Rolling Stones
  8. Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans – Billie Holiday & Louis Armstrong. And yes, I do.
  9. I Had the Time Of My Life - From Dirty Dancing
  10. Stormy Weather – Billie Holiday
  11. Jack Straw – Grateful Dead
  12. Nature Boy – Nat King Cole
  13. Naked Cousin – PJ Harvey
  14. Temptation Inside Your Heart – Velvet Underground
  15. Sucker M.C.’s – Run DMC
  16. Go Home – Jacqueline Perez (from Swinging Mademoiselles - a great album of French female singers from the '60s)
  17. Police – Angelo Badalamenti (Lost Highway Soundtrack)
  18. Where Have All the Flowers Gone – Peter, Paul & Mary (CANNOT hear this song without crying)
  19. Tarantula – Smashing Pumpkins
  20. I am a rock – Simon & Garfunkel
  21. To Loki (Constant Gardener soundtrack)
  22. Drive – The Cars
  23. Estranged – Guns N’ Roses (my favorite GNR song)
  24. La Mer – Nine Inch Nails
  25. Take On Me – Ah Ha (see, this way my 80s music makes appearances)
  26. Ball & Chain – Janis Joplin
  27. What Sarah Said – Death Cab For Cutie
  28. I Walk the Line- Johnny Cash
  29. Clubland – Elvis Constello
  30. Death Is Not the End – Nick Cave
  31. Sunlight Bathes Our Home – Clinic
  32. The Unforgiven – Metallica (Metallica strikes again)
  33. Tourniquet – Marilyn Manson
  34. Twilight & Shadow – LOTR: Return of the King Soundtrack
  35. Way of the Mystic – Angel Tears (I just realized this song is used in one of my yoga dvds)
  36. The Nurse – White Stripes
  37. Let’s Get Rocked – Def Leppard (I KNEW they would make an appearance!)
  38. Soldier’s Poem – Muse
  39. Just – Radiohead
  40. Biscuit – Portishead
  41. Hey Elvis – Bryan Adams
  42. Want More – Bob Marley
  43. Swervin’ – Three 6 Mafia
  44. Got to Get You Out of My Head – Duran Duran
  45. Crimson & Clover – Tommy James & The Shondells (My personal opinion is that this is the sexiest song ever written)
  46. Dear mama – 2pac
  47. Grace – Jeff Buckley
  48. Victoria’s Escape – Corpse Bride Soundtrack
  49. Beat street – Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious 5
  50. From Me to You – Janis Ian

And in case you were wondering, I don’t bat an eye when my music selection goes from Tommy James & The Shondells, to 2Pac or from the Furious 5 to Janis Ian. Or from Marilyn Manson to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

No comments: