Thursday, July 9, 2009

Booking Through Thursday

Today's question:


“So here today I present to you an Unread Books Challenge. Give me the list or take a picture of all the books you have stacked on your bedside table, hidden under the bed or standing in your shelf – the books you have not read, but keep meaning to. The books that begin to weigh on your mind. The books that make you cover your ears in conversation and say, ‘No! Don’t give me another book to read! I can’t finish the ones I have!’"

Oh my. I don't really know where to start. Some of these books have been on my list for literally a decade. Here's a shortened version of my to-read list...(I've tried to focus on the ones that have been on the list for the longest.)
  1. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Marquez
  2. Possession - Byatt
  3. In Cold Blood - Capote
  4. Through the Looking Glass - Carroll
  5. The Power and the Glory - Greene
  6. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Adams
  7. The Things They Carried - O'Brien
  8. Pilgrim's Progress - Bunyan
  9. Le Pere Goriot - Balzac
  10. David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Bleak House, etc. - Dickens
  11. Middlemarch - Eliot
  12. Last Temptation of Christ
  13. Hunchback of Notre Dame - Hugo
  14. King Solomon's Mines - Haggard
  15. Last of the Mohicans - Cooper
  16. Blonde - Oates
  17. Anil's Ghost - Ondaatje
  18. King Lear - Shakespeare
  19. Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky
  20. Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
  21. Jude the Obscure - Hardy
  22. Go Down Moses - Faulkner
  23. The Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
  24. The German Lesson – Siegfried Lenz
  25. Austerlitz – W.G. Sebald

5 comments:

gigidiaz said...

I have 100 Years of Solitude on my list as well!!

Happy BTT!
I played too!

jlshall said...

That's a great list! Lots of classics there. I have a lot of those same titles on my own TBR list, which was way too long for me to include on my blog. And some of those titles have been on my list for way over a decade!

Arukiyomi said...

Mine could sink a battleship...

very very very glad that 100 Years of Solitude is behind me

Kristin said...

Arukiyomi - This is the extremely condensed version of the TBR list. It would probably be closer to 10x as long if I had actually listed everything I want to read.

anothercookiecrumbles said...

Hundred Years of Solitude is one of my all-time faves.

As for Hitchhiker's Guide - that's really really really good. Am tempted to re-read it sometime soon.