Thursday, July 23, 2009

Booking Through Thursday

Todays question:

Which do you prefer? (Quick answers–we’ll do more detail at some later date):

Reading something frivolous? Or something serious?

It depends on how I'm feeling, but what is termed "frivolous" to me is probably very serious to someone else.

Paperbacks? Or hardcovers?
Definately paperback.

Fiction? Or Nonfiction?
Fiction
Poetry? Or Prose?
Prose.

Biographies? Or Autobiographies?
Biography
History? Or Historical Fiction?
History

Series? Or Stand-alones?
Stand alone.

Classics? Or best-sellers?
Classics. I stay away from best-sellers. If 5 years after a book was published, I'm still interested in it, then I'll pick it up.

Lurid, fruity prose? Or straight-forward, basic prose?
I'm not picky, really. So long as it's good prose, I enjoy both.
Plots? Or Stream-of-Consciousness?
Again, not picky. In the hands of a good author, both have their respective merits.

Long books? Or Short?
Definately short when possible. But I'm not judgemental. A book isn't good or bad because it's long, it how those pages between covers are used.

Illustrated? Or Non-illustrated?
Well, illustrated is always fun, but most adult books aren't illustrated, so it's not something I've come to expect.

Borrowed? Or Owned?
Owned.
New? Or Used?
I really don't have a preference. So long as the used doesn't have a lot of underlining or notes and the pages aren't falling out, I'm happy with whatever the book in my hand's past might have been. Well, within limits.

1 comment:

Susan B. Evans said...

I like your answers :) My blog is named "Well-Mannered Frivolity" - can you guess what my answer to number 1 was? Here's my BTT response:

Booking Through Thursday: Preferences