Friday, July 17, 2009

A High Wind in Jamaica

I seem to be on a roll here...this is the most books I've read for a long time.


Richard Hughes' A High Wind in Jamaica was written in 1929, but you could easily have fooled me into thinking it was written decades later. It feels very modern in a sense, and seems to fit more easily in with stuff that was written in the 1950s than the 1920s.

It's about these English kids in Jamaica (obviously), who are being sent back to England after a hurricane decimated their tropical home. On the way there, their boat is attacked by pirates, and they are captured by them. It reminded me of a lot of Peter Pan, between the English children left to their own devices and pirates. All that was missing was a crocodile. Oh wait, there was one of those too (or was it an alligator? I don't remember). The amorality of the kids gave it a Lord of the Flies feeling at times, and I believe it had an influence on Golding's later novel. It was a fun and easy book to read, and went quick. I wasn't as thrilled with it at the end as I was in the beginning, but oh well.

I don't have much else to say about it...ok - I don't have anything else to say about it.

1 comment:

bathmateus said...

It is a good posting. I like it. It's pretty much impressive.


Bathmate