Monday, November 23, 2009

Iris

Ok, so I mentioned in my post about Under the Net that I was going to watch Iris but accidentally got The Fire Within instead. The Fire Within was decent, but I really wanted to see Iris. Which I did this weekend. Totally devastating.

This is going to sound stupid, but I never think of famous people getting old and losing their minds and having to be put in a home. It's weird. I don't know why, but it's weird. Somehow it seems that famous people should be immune from that because, you know, they aren't like the rest of us. But of course they are.

Beyond that, though, it really was a devastating movie, regardless of whether or not the person disappearing from Alzheimer's was famous or not. The dedication of John Bayley to stick with her through that is amazing. That's love. This movie made me realize that if I ever get like that, I want my loved ones to put me in a home and forget about me. I wouldn't want to be remembered in that way.

I will definately be picking up the Bayley memoirs that the movie is based on.

No comments: