Monday, November 23, 2009

My 50 favorite films of the first decade of the 21st century

New meme!

Ok, so I wrote down all the films I rated well on Netflix from this decade, and couldn't come up with 50. This could be for 2 reasons (1) I've mostly been focusing on watching the classics I missed...there are so many! High schools really need to offer classes in film the way they offer classes in English. Really - we all need better education in this stuff; and (2) I haven't gone to see a movie in a theater more than once a year for the last 5 years. And that's for 2 reasons as well (1) there really haven't been that many films I've wanted to see in the theater in the last five years and (2) going to the movies just never was one of those activities that Shawn & I engaged in as a couple. I don't know why...it just isn't. And though I have gone to see movies by myself before, it isn't really something I even think about doing. So, anyway, here's my list (no particular order). I concur with the disclaimer posted on other sites for this meme:

This list means nothing, except to me. It's a list of 50 29 movies that gave me pleasure over the past decade. I can say without reservation that I would watch any of these again. Would I say that all of them are great films, however great films are supposed to be defined? Probably not. But that's nothing you need to worry about. Because it's my list.
  1. Lord of the Rings (How could this not be on the top of anyone's list, ordered or not?)
  2. The Constant Gardener
  3. Everything is Illuminated
  4. Elf (definitely one of the greatest Christmas movies ever)
  5. I Heart Huckabees (The faux-existentialism is annoying, but it's awesome nonetheless)
  6. Little Miss Sunshine (Could be the best movie of the decade)
  7. Mulholland Drive (I have watched this film over and over and over again. It it completely a part of me)
  8. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (NEVER thought I would like this movie, but was "forced" to watch it on a bus ride from NYC...and lo and behold, I was completely hooked)
  9. O Brother Where Art Thou (THE FUNNIEST MOVIE EVER)
  10. The Dreamers
  11. House of Fools (Little known Russian film...maybe my favorite, for purely personal reasons)
  12. Coyote Ugly (Formulaic cheese featuring Tyra Banks, but I love it anyway)
  13. The Ring (I'm so embarrassed that this movie scared the crap out of me, but it did)
  14. Master and Commander
  15. Donnie Darko
  16. Iris
  17. Jesus Camp
  18. Wall-E
  19. Bad Santa
  20. Charlie Wilson's War (Love Philip Seymour Hoffman in this)
  21. 300 (For a brief time, we considered naming Brendan Leonidas. I never knew Xerxes was gay until I saw this film -j/k)
  22. Borat
  23. Bourne Identity
  24. Moulin Rouge
  25. Y tu mama tambien
  26. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Didn't really like it when I saw it, but I like it more and more as time goes on)
  27. The Wind that Shakes the Barley
  28. Gran Torino
  29. The Others (Unlike The Ring, I am NOT embarrassed that this movie scared the crap out of me)

No comments: