Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Year in Review - Books

I read a lot more this year than I thought I would, given that the first 2/3 of the year I was pregnant and not feeling well, and then the last 1/3 I have been taking care of an infant. But I wouldn't say, as I did last year, that it was a good reading year. I read some books that I really did enjoy (marked with a *), and I found some new (for me) authors that I really liked - particularly Douglas Adams and EL Doctorow. But it took me until March or April to get to a book that I really liked. 2009 seems to have been a year of books that I am still indifferent about.

In 2010, I hope to finally finish the Modern Library's Top 100 of the 20th Century - that will be a big accomplishment, considering I've been "actively" working the list since 2005. I also hopefully will FINALLY get to some books that have been at the top of my TBR pile for a few years: In Cold Blood, The Shipping News, and maybe even Possession. We'll see though - the focus will be getting through the ML list, and with such tomes as Parade's End, Studs Lonigan and Finnegan's Wake still to go, it may be a struggle.

Here's the Read in '09 list:

  1. A Room with a View - EM Forster
  2. American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
  3. Empty Phantoms - Interviews with Jack Kerouac
  4. Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
  5. Fight Club - Chuck Palahnuik
  6. Fatelessness - Imre Kertesz
  7. Amok - Stefan Zweig
  8. Time's Arrow -Martin Amis
  9. Closely Watched Trains - Bohumil Hrabal
  10. The Rainbow - DH Lawrence
  11. Justine - Lawrence Durrell
  12. The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler*
  13. Atonement - Ian McEwan*
  14. Henderson the Rain King - Saul Bellow
  15. Ragtime - EL Doctorow*
  16. High Wind in Jamaica - Richard Hughes
  17. A Dance to the Music of Time (4th Movement) - Anthony Powell*
  18. A Handful of Dust - Evelyn Waugh
  19. Golden Bowl - Henry James
  20. Pale Fire - Vladimir Nabokov*
  21. Balthasar - Lawrence Durrell
  22. And Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris*
  23. Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll
  24. Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
  25. Chocky - John Wyndham
  26. The 39 Steps - John Buchan
  27. King Lear - William Shakespeare
  28. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams*
  29. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer*
  30. The Naked and the Dead - Norman Mailer
  31. Life of Pi - Yann Martel
  32. Under the Net - Iris Murdoch
  33. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
  34. Winnie-the-Pooh - AA Milne
  35. 1919 - John Dos Passos
  36. Zuelika Dobson - Max Beerbohm
  37. No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy*
  38. Pippi Longstocking - Astrid Lindgren
  39. The Ginger Man - J.P. Donleavy

No comments: