Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Year in Review - Movies

I didn't watch as many movies as I did last year. Once again, this is mostly due to pregnancy and then the arrival of Brendan in August. But I did ok considering. Favorites are underlined/bolded.
  1. Le Cercle Rouge
  2. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (I LOVED this! Definately the best I watched all year)
  3. Soylent Green (not bad for a Charlton Heston film)
  4. Thumbsucker
  5. Double Life of Veronique (A movie I really wanted to love, but it just left me cold)
  6. Meatballs
  7. Divine Horsemen
  8. Fateless
  9. Atonement
  10. Slum Dog Millionaire
  11. Three Penny Opera (I was pretty disappointed in this one)
  12. Wonderful/Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl (Did she support the Nazis or not? Was Triumph of the Will a propaganda film, or a documentary? I still don't know.)
  13. The Big Sleep
  14. Return to Oz
  15. Cabaret
  16. Clash of the Titans (Can't wait for 2010's remake of this starring Ralph Fiennes)
  17. Appaloosa (I know I watched this, but honestly, I can't remember a thing about it)
  18. L'Avventura (Didn't really get it when I watched it, but appreciate it more after reading Ebert's review)
  19. Frozen River
  20. Battleship Potemkin
  21. The Public Enemy (1931 version with James Cagney, not Johnny Depp)
  22. Monkey Business (I enjoyed Duck Soup to this, but it was classic Marx Brothers nonetheless...and I love me some Marx Bros.)
  23. The Trouble With Harry
  24. Incident at Oglala (Should my "neighbor" Leonard Peltier really be in prison? Probably not.)
  25. Rear Window (After years of only seeing parts of this film, I finally saw the whole thing)
  26. Gran Torino (Terribly disturbing)
  27. The Fire Within
  28. Iris
  29. Stranger Than Fiction (No matter how many films I see her in, I cannot conceive of Maggie Gyllenhall as a romatic lead at all, but this movie was cute anyway)
  30. Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (I think this has been called "celluloid excrement," and I can't say that I disagree)
  31. No Country for Old Men

No comments: