Thursday, January 7, 2010

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday asks...


What books did you get for Christmas (or whichever holiday you may have celebrated last month)? Do you usually ask for books on gift-giving occasions or do you prefer to buy them yourself?

I always ask for books on gift-giving occasions. In fact, other than movies and sometimes some music, it's pretty much all I ever ask for. Most of the time I have to give people a list. I understand why - because I have so many books, most people have no idea what I already have; still, I long for the time when someone will hand me a book and say, "I think you'd enjoy this." Especially if the selection revealed some intimate knowledge of my interests and quarks...especially if I DID enjoy it. I really do miss the spontaneity of not having to ask for any specific book.

So - what books did I get for Christmas...I hope that I can remember them all...

  • Blood Meridian - McCarthy
  • The Magus - Fowles
  • Parade's End - Ford Maddox Ford
  • Letters of Groucho Marx
  • Labyrinths - Borges
  • Beloved - Morrison
  • Little Women - Alcott
  • Wittgenstein's Mistress - Markson
  • Clea - Durrell
  • Mountolive - Durrell

I think that's it. I also went on a small spree myself this past weekend and purchased the following used books:

  • House for Mr. Biswas - Naipaul
  • Women in Love - Lawrence
  • King Solomon's Mines - Haggard (with a somewhat racially-inappropriate cover, which is probably why it was only $1.50)
  • East of Eden - Steinbeck
  • Age of Innocence - Wharton
  • A Short History of the Movies text book
  • Introduction to Film Studies text book

P.S. - I did forget one book I got for Christmas: Powwowing Among the Pennsylvania Dutch.

5 comments:

Susan B. Evans said...

There are so many good choices on your list! I don't know how you'll choose what to read next :)

I was a very lucky girl this Christmas, too! Here is my BTT response.

SocrMom78 said...

How are you enjoying "The Old Wives' Tale"? I loved it!

SocrMom78 said...

Books I have bought with my Barnes and Noble gift cards I got for xmas so far: Main Street, Sinclair Lewis; Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad; The House of Mirth and The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton; A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess; The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger, and The Death of the Heart, Elizabeth Bowen. I still have like 75$ left so the spending spree will continue!

Kristin said...

I REALLY liked Main Street. Hopefully you will too. House of Mirth wasn't too shabby either. Clockwork Orange, Heart of Darkness and Catcher in the Rye are all on my re-read list for 2011...I didn't appreciate them very much when I read them a number of years ago, but I'm going to give them another try.

SocrMom78 said...

I'm actually looking forward to re-reading books as an adult that I read in high school, like "Catcher in the Rye" and "Gatsby". Haven't read either of them since. Thanks for the thumbs up on "Main Street". I've read some good things about that one on other sites too. Hope you are feeling better!