Monday, January 9, 2012

2011 Reading Year in Review

This is a bit late but oh well.

The last few years, I have been caught up in lists.  This year, I gave up.  Well maybe not gave up, but went on a list hiatus.  And it has been very, very freeing.  Suddenly, I’m able to pull a book off a shelf and just read it.  Because I wanted to.  And not have a list to cross it off at the end.  Wow.

The year started out with a whiz bang from Le Carre’s The Spy Who Came in from the Cold.  The Shipping News was something of a disappointment.  The Piano Teacher shocked me, but the questions about power play still remains. New York Trilogy left me cold and wondering.  Wittgenstein’s Mistress was a comfort and along with Noel Coward’s play Still Life got me through a rough time.  Anagrams – what a beautiful, beautiful piece. Naïve.Super made me want to buy a wooden peg board and set it on my desk. Enduring Love started out fabulous, but ended like a deflated balloon.  The Hound of the Baskervilles reminded me what good writing could achieve. The Shining reminded me what bad writing can’t achieve.  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo reminded that bad writing isn’t always a death knell.

No comments: