Today's Booking Through Thursday:
But, enough about books … Other things have words, too, right? Like …songs!
If you’re anything like me, there are songs that you love because of their lyrics; writers you admire because their songs have depth, meaning, or just a sheer playfulness that has nothing to do with the tunes.
So, today’s question? What songs … either specific songs, or songs in general by a
specific group or writer … have words that you love? Why? And … do the tunes that go with the fantastic lyrics live up to them? You don’t have to restrict yourself to modern songsters, either … anyone who wants to pick Gilbert & Sullivan, for example, is just fine with me. Lerner & Loewe? Steven Sondheim? Barenaked Ladies? Fountains of Wayne? The Beatles? Anyone at all…
Ok...I LOVE music. I have always loved music. I mean, it's not just something I want to hear on the radio or whatever...I'm PASSIONATE about the music I like. I don't even know where to begin to start about lyrics I love. Thumbing through my mp3 player - which has 4,000 songs on it, I immediately had a list of like 50 songs I could put on here. So, maybe I'll just put them all on here...I'm not going to bother with reasons for the most part. Maybe a little. These aren't just songs that I like the lyrics...these are lyrics that mean something to me - they remind me of a person, a situation, a feeling, etc. These are important songs. Even though two are by Britney Spears.
- I was born by the river.../and oh just like that river I've been running ever since
- Gypsy, sitting looking pretty/A broken rose with laughing eyes/You're a mystery, always running wild/like a child without a home
- Time, time time, see what's become of me
- I used to be disgusted/Now I try to be amused
- [Thanks dad for having this record around] To those of us who knew the pain/of valentines that never came/and those whose names were never called/when choosing sides for basketball/It was long ago and far away/The world was younger than today/when dreams were all they gave for free/to ugly duckling girls like me
- One day I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me/where troubles melt like lemon drops a-way above the chimney tops/That's where you'll find me
- Be brave little one/Make a wish for each sad little tear/Hold your head up though no one is near/Someone’s waiting for you
- Well, I ain't gonna think about you/Cause it ain't no use no more/I'm gonna make it fine without you/Just like I did before/I'm on my way/Tomorrow's gonna be another day
- Wanna die in Beat City/Run, run, run/Wanna hang with girls and shoot my gun.../Wanna die in Beat City/Go, go, go/You can't come with me 'cause you're just too slow/Inject the stars make them glow
- I was central, I had control, I lost my head/I need this.../Crazy what you could've had...
- Time it was oh what a time it was...It was a time of innocence, a time of confidences. Long ago it must be, I have a photograph, preserve your memory, they're all that's left...
- Darling I'm killed/I'm in a puddle on the floor/Waiting for you to return
- I must confess, that my loneliness is killing me now/Don't you know I still believe/That you will be here...
- But these cuts I have/They need love to help them heal
- I don’t know/Only god knows where the story ends for me/But I know where the story begins/It’s up to us to choose/Whether we win or lose/And I choose to win
- [Cannot even THINK of this song without tearing up] Where have all the flowers gone?/Girls have picked them every one/When will they ever learn?
- Animals strike curious poses/They feel the heat, the heat between me and you
- Today there is no day or night/Today there is no dark or light/Today there is no black or white/Only shades of gray
- Hear that lonesome whippoorwill/He sounds too blue to fly/The midnight train is whining low/I'm so lonesome I could cry
- Out on the road today I saw a deadhead sticker on a cadillac/A little voice inside my head said/Don't look back/you can never look back.
- I dream about magnolias in bloom and I'm wishing I was there
- Is it my turn to wish you were lying here...
- I heard there was a secret chord that David played and it pleased the Lord, but you don't really care for music do you?
- My love must be a kind of blind love/I can't see anyone but you/Are the stars out tonight?
- But touch my tears with your lips/Touch my world with your fingertips/And we can have forever
- Why live life from dream to dream and dread the day when dreaming ends?
- Has anybody seen a dog dyed dark green/about two inches tall with a strawberry blond fall/sunglasses and a bonnet/and designer jeans with appliques on it?
- One day soon I´m gonna tell the moon about the crying game/and if he knows maybe he´ll explain/why there are heartaches/why there are tears/and what to do to stop feeling blue when love disappears
- And everytime I try to fly/I fall without my wings/I feel so small/I guess I need you baby
- Whenever I'm alone with you/You make me feel like I'm free again/whenever I'm alone with you/you make me feel like I'm clean again
- Days may be cloudy or sunny/We're in or we're out of the money/But I'm with you always/I'm with you rain or shine
- Oh thinking about all our younger years, there was only you and me...
- Karma police, I've given all I can, its not enough/I've given all I can, but were still on the payroll
- And where will she go and what shall she do when midnight comes around/She'll turn once more to Sunday's clown/And cry behind the door
- [When my grandma used to sing me this song when I was a kid, I thought it was hilarious] I`ll go home and get my panties/You go home and get your scanties/And away we`ll go...To Niagara in a sleeper/There`s no honeymoon that`s cheaper/And the train goes slow...Someday, the stork may pay a visit/And leave a little souvenir/Just a little cute `what is it,'/But we`ll discuss that later, dear.
- [I have two theme songs; this is from one of them] You're losing all your highs and lows/Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away?
- [This is the other] I'm a-walking in the rain/Tears are falling and I feel the pain/Wishing you were here by me/To end this misery/And I wonder...Why she ran away and I wonder where she will stay, my little runaway
- [If I had a third theme song, this would be it] I wanna be free/Like the blue birds flying by me/like the waves out on the blue sea/If your love has to tie me/Don't try me/say goodbye...
- Just hold onto your life down to the wire/Out from the dragon's jaws and into the fire